Cherry Blossoms Festival You Must Check Out!
So the Cherry Blossoms are basically 2 weeks off from overtaking the country and minds of everyone. Are you ready and equipped with latest information on which location and festival might suit you best? Here let us offer you some festivals around the country worth your time to read into more and possibly go to as a day trip or a weekend outside away from the TV and Netflix. Your body and mind will be more than happy you are outside roaming and relaxing in a more active way.
Hwagae Cherry Blossoms Festival
- Description: This festival started all the way back in 1993, this cherry blossom festival is located at Hwagae Market, a traditional open-air market on the border between Hadong and Gurye in Jeollanam-do. The cherry blossoms trees stretch over the six kilometer road from the market to Ssanggyesa Temple which make it a gorgeous sight to take in. Locals believe that if a couple walks down this road holding hands, they will grow old together in an everlasting relationship. For that very reason, it is sometimes called by the nickname,“wedding road”. So be careful of who you go down the road with.
- Period: April 1st – 3rd
- Venue: Hwagae Market , Hadong-gun, Gyeongsangnam-do
- Description: Home to 100 year old wild sansuyu trees, the venue of the Icheon Baeksa Sansuyu Blossom Festival is a top producer of sansuyu (cornus fruit) trees in Korea. In spring, the sansuyu flowers are in full bloom to radiating the whole village in a shower of yellow. While in autumn, the red fruits bear the symbol of the changing of the season. During the festival period, a variety of performances and cornus fruit-related hands-on program are available to all visitors.
- Period: Early April
- Venue: Dorip-ri, Gyeongsa-ri, Songmal-ri and Baeksa-myeon, Icheon-si, Gyeonggi-do
- Description: The Cheongpunghoban Cherry Blossom Festival can be seen along a 13 kilometre stretch by the Cheongpungho Lake, where thousands of mature cherry trees stand gloriously. Various shows and performances are already pencilled in, including a cherry blossom street concert, a magic show, and a dance parade. Visitors can also sample some medicinal herbal teas and food made from wild herbs. Nearby attractions include the Cheongpung Cultural Property Complex, a TV drama filming location, and several bungee jumping sites.
- Period: Early to mid April
- Venue: Cheongpungho Lake area, Cheongpung-myeon, Jecheon-si, Chungcheongbuk-do
- Description: This famous festival takes place in early April when the cherry tree flowers are at peak bloom at pretty much the same time as over similar festivals so deciding where to go just keeps getting harder. This Festival draws in over 2 million tourists per annum, and visitors are usually greeted by the overwhelming showers of cherry flower petals as they pass through a tunnel of pink cherry trees. There are various events you cannot miss, such as the Jinhae International Military Band & Honor Guard Festival and fireworks show to name a few of the top of my head.
- Period: April 1-10
- Venue: Jungwon Rotary, Jinhae-gun, Changwon-si, Gyeongsangnam-do
- Description: The Jeju Cherry Blossom Festival is usually where cherry blossom can be seen. The festival will have several cherry blossom photo zones with indigenous wild flower exhibits too, visitors can enjoy the chance to appreciate the various flora that are unique only to Jeju island. With a lighting system in place, the festival can now be enjoyed either during the day or at night.
- Period: April 1-10
- Venue: Jeju Special Self-Governing Province
Now that Winter is all but passed us by for this time you have no more excuses to no go out and enjoy a stroll, meet your friends, take some beautiful pictures of the gorgeous cherry blossoms while getting some sun.